Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Photography show: TDU

     Here at James Madison University, there's a magical place called Taylor Down Under (TDU).  If you haven't experienced it, I want you to.  It's really just a room full of a bunch of couches and tables and a separate area with some pool tables, but people congregate there.  There are events that happen weekly at TDU, but my favorite part about it is the conversation.  People go to TDU to talk with others... ranging from the most surface-y everyday conversation to the deepest faith conversation you can imagine (...maybe).  These priceless conversations happen in the comfort of a living room atmosphere, and yes - there are pictures on the wall.
     Students' photography is displayed throughout the lobby and pool area of TDU constantly, and a student may have a photography show there for a month at a time.  After four years of seeing others' photography displayed in one of my favorite places on campus, I decided to apply to have some of my own photography displayed, and guess what!  They liked it. :) 
     Eighteen of my photos were displayed in TDU from October 3 to October 28, 2011.  It was an interesting and different feeling walking through the room and seeing my own photography, but the feeling was good... really good.  I wrote a personal statement about my passion for photography and about the theme around which my art show was centered.  For your reading pleasure, here ya go:

"The world is a deeply complex place, but more than anything I see God’s beautiful creation.  I use my camera to capture that complex beauty -- complex because of the little intricacies that often go ignored.  With my photography I love to share some of the amazing capabilities that water, fire, and earth elegantly display. 
Sometimes I underestimate water to just be liquid that comes from a faucet, but then I discover it to be so much more.  Water stands to reflect more beauty, moves to flow over sandy toes, and freezes into tiny shapes that create a white winter wonderland.  
Fire, whether of the sun or of a candle, burns so brightly.  It has the power to destroy, but it also has the power to sustain life.  Fire gives warmth, gives light, and never burns itself out when it is looked after.
     I consider earth to be the most complex of the three because of all that it possesses and all that God continues to create from it.  From the earth our great Creator colors the flower petals, forms the seashells, and makes the leaves turn orange and red in the fall.  God has created the earth to revive itself over and over to reveal more of His own beauty in the world with each day. 
I hope you enjoy the display of water, fire, and earth through my lens.  God has put incredible thought into His creation, and He calls it beautiful. 
- Kelly Gatewood"

And for your viewing pleasure, here are the photographs that were on display!  They are for sale, and I'll talk about that more at the end of the post. 

 
This is the gorgeous Courtney Smith, who shares my love for photography! We've done a few fun photoshoots together :) Our families were neighbors back at home, but she just graduated from college last May - now she is a NICU nurse in Charlottesville, VA!


This was on a drive down from Reddish Knob, a beautiful lookout on the top of a mountain near Harrisonburg, VA. My boyfriend Andrew and I went to see the sunrise for our one year anniversary, but we weren't expecting all the snow! This was on April 1, 2011, but it was no April Fool's joke.


These shells were decorations at my dad and stepmom's wedding at the beginning of May 2010! They suited the occasion very well with a mutual love for the beach and a laid-back wedding reception.

 This purple bundle of flowers was appropriately taken on the campus of JMU :) Yay for purple and gold!

This is my dad's sailboat, located at our house in North Carolina. It is on the Albemarle Sound, branching off of the Elizabeth River.

 Sunflowers are probably my second favorite flower, a close second to daisies. I found this one growing tall at the Virginia Zoo in Norfolk, VA!

I took this photo this past summer in Wilmington, Delaware. I was there training for my summer job with YouthWorks!, and we had a restful evening activity at a local park. :) My site director, a wonderful photographer, was showing me some pointers!

These waterdropped flowers are located at Rockbridge Young Life Camp near Goshen, VA. I was there for InterVarsity Chapter Camp this past May. One morning I went to do a devotional on the porch before breakfast, and God showed me beauty in His creation through all the water droplets around me :)

This photo was also taken during that impromptu water drop photo shoot!

Once upon a time (aka, May-June 2010) I studied abroad in Tarragona, Spain! This shot was taken as my feet were refreshed by the cool Mediterranean Sea :)

One 24 hours-ish time period during the study abroad trip, we went to southern France! That is where this beautiful landscape and water is located.

This one was also taken in France that day. You can almost see it, but on the left side of the apple, the greenish area was shaped exactly like a leaf! I was pretty intrigued.

This reflection is located in Pennsylvania! My housemate Molly has family that lives right near this creek. 

Oh, the changing colors of autumn! I sat on a purple swinging bench with my brother and my mom as I took this picture during Family Weekend 2009.

I only had to go as far as the sidewalk in front of my house at school to take this one. We get the best and most interesting skies here!

Andrew and I were hiking at the Cascades last year near Blacksburg, VA. It is an amazing hike with this view & a stream the whole way! Beware: The waterfall at the top of the mountain is cold (but you should jump in anyway).  


Here is the blog's first sighting of my boyfriend, Andrew. We were in Norfolk, VA for my stepbrother's wedding in October 2010, and they were blessed with this great sunset as a backdrop for some wedding photos!

And finally, I'm kind of a tree hugger. I found this bark-y tree while Andrew and I walked around the woods surrounding his family's cabin near Altavista, VA (which is near Lynchburg, VA). 

     And that's all, folks!  For the TDU photos, at least :)  A few of yall have asked me what happens with the photos after they come down, so here's the dealio!  I have the prints for each of these photos now, and I am selling them on an individual basis.  They are pretty big... 24 x 36 inches, but they fit a big, empty wall perfectly!  If you're interested in buying one (or more!), you can contact me through this blog, via email, via Facebook, via my cell phone if you have the number... whatever way you want to contact me about these photos, go for it :)  None of the printed photos have any kind of text (aka, "Kelly Gatewood photography") on them.  Pricing will probably vary from photo to photo, but I am asking for yall's opinions/offers when you contact me about the potential purchase.  Please note that they have a matte finish (not glossy like photo paper) and - sorry - I don't have picture frames to accompany the photos!  
     Also, I'll sell them on a first-come-first-serve basis, but if more than one person happens to be interested in a specific photo, I can order it online and have it sent to the second person.  I use shutterfly.com because it's awesome, and it has three large sizes to choose from: 11 x 14, 16 x 20, & 20 x 30.  Pricing will, of course, also change if that is the case because of smaller photo size and shipping fees! 
     Anyway, I would love to hear your feedback about these photos, and I will be posting more from another event very soon! 

God bless,
Kelly :)

No comments:

Post a Comment